Freitag, 1. Mai 2015

The Edge.

A boy sits on the edge of a cliff.
He humbly looks into the infinite space that unfolds before him. Behind the boy, there is a tree, growing on the cliff, just not caring about the unlively conditions of the space around him. It stretches its branches into the wide galactic spectacle, as if searching for more. The boy looks and sighs. He soon grew tired of what is in front of him.


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhjRHsicYzz3I763tq5bqHR0TeCb-KNwH40t_e8qrDdr6tVDcW5OXx5nZNKUVMG7Sjp6G168Ewfv3VU8kR-PdjfoxBIBfkfCTPwYYAtDi2y7Vyg3EBnQ6oiA9nJTfCia5UEXWS_jPrT0FA/s1600/The+Edge3.png

He almost can't remember when he arrived at the scene. He can briefy recall the feeling of awe, when he first stepped into what seems to be infinity. He stood at the edge, horrified, breathless by the miracle. He could easily locate countless planets he had never seen before, stars, shining bright as the sun. And then the giant gathering of molecular clouds right next to him! The boy turned around, not getting enough of his environment.

But that was long ago. Soon, solitude came crashing in.
He has been here for too long.

And so he sits.
Sits and waits, for something to happen, maybe. Often has he thought about taking the step that would send him to a place unknown. But he refused. And so he sits.

Hey.”
The boy winces at the unexpected, unfamiliar sound. He turns around in terror. What is that? Where did it come from?
Hey.”, repeats the creature that has sneaked up to him. It is a girl. Dark hair, brown eyes and a warm, welcoming smile. She wears a light, white dress that stops at her knees.
The girl smiles at the boy, then sits down next to him. She takes a deep breath while looking around.
Amazing, isn't it?”, she asks.
The boy nods, not yet able to speak, as if she was the first person he ever met. The girl leans onto her arms, laying her head back and looking up.
The boy looks down to her tangling feet.
On her right foot, she wears a red shoe. He left foot is bare.
What happened to your shoe?”, the boy asks. His voice sounds foreign to himself, like something really distant. The girl laughs an adorable laugh.
I don't know. It got lost, I think. Maybe on the way here. Who knows?”
So you remember the way here?”, the boy wants to know, now curious. The girl sets brow. Her eyes wander back to the setting around them.
Hmm. Not really. Everything was so...so bright.”
Again, the boy nods. That is about everything he can remember from before.
How long have you been here?”, asks the girl.
For a long, long time.”, he replies, followed by silence.



I am glad somebody came.”, he finally adds.
I am not somebody.”, the girl answers back. “I am I.”
I'm sorry.”, the boy apologizes.
Hi Sorry.”, smiles the girl.
Hi I.”, he replies.
Both begin to laugh.
What do you think this is?”, asks I.
Eternity.”
You don't think it will end?”
I have been here forever. It doesn't change.”
“We could change it. Let's go and find my shoe!”, she exclaims and jumps to her feet. The moment she reaches the tree, Sorry shouts: “Please don't go.”
Why?”
Because I can't go. And I don't want you to leave.”
Why can't you go?”, I wants to know.

Sorry remains silent. I sits back down again. She reaches for Sorry's hand.
I think you are the right person to spend eternity with.”
He laughs.
That sounds like we're married.”
Maybe we are. Who knows?”



Both begin to stare into the deep, still holding hands.
Which of the planets is your favourite?”, I asks.
Can you stop that?”, Sorry replies.
Stop what?”
Calling yourself and me Sorry. It gets quite annoying.”
Sorry.”, says the girl. “What do you want to be called?”
Call me boy.”, the boy answers.
Okay. Boy.” she laughs.
Why laugh?”, he asks.
That sounds funny. 'Boy'.”
she giggles again.
If you say so.”



The girl leans her head onto the boys shoulder.
What would happen if we jumped?”
I don't know.”
Wanna try?”
No.”
She looks him into the eyes.
Why? Are you scared?”
He sits up straight and breathes in, trying to look confident.
No. I'm not scared.”
Then why wouldn't you jump? What would you leave behind?”
You.”
She shakes her head. “That's not true. We will jump together. See? Hold my hand. Firmly.”

The girl stands up and pulls the boy to his feet. At first he protests, but eventually surrenders to her.
Hold my hand!”, she again advises him, taking a few steps back.
Ready? Go!”, she says and runs towards the edge.
Wait!”, he shouts. But she already left the ground. His hand slips and he stops at the edge.


Tears fill his eyes as he sees her falling. “Wait for me!”, he exclaims and averts from the edge. Then, he drops, backwards. His hand reaches out for hers. Nearer and nearer they come.


He calls her name.



And then their hands meet.